Expression of Interest Recreation Skipper Ticket - Power Boat


Date TBA

Event information

A person must have a Recreational Skipper's Ticket (RST) if:

  • He or she is the person in charge of an RST vessel.
  • The vessel is being operated in the water.

An RST vessel is any boat that is:

  • Registered with the Department of Transport, or required to be registered.
  • Used for recreational purposes.
  • Powered by has an engine with more than 6 hp (4.5 kW).

Only the person-in-charge of the boat (the 'skipper') needs to have an RST, but he or she must have it with them the entire time the boat is in operation. The skipper is responsible for what happens on the boat during the voyage, but this doesn't mean that he or she must be at the wheel the whole time.


You do not need an RST to own a boat that is docked or on land. You also do not need an RST to operate a vessel that does not have a motor, or that has a motor with a power of 6 hp (4.5 kW) or less.

Age restrictions

The minimum age to obtain a Recreational Skipper's Ticket (RST) is 14 years old.

For more information on age limits to operate recreational boats, please go to General rules and regulations.

Start Studying NOW at

$215 Per Student, with a maximum class size of 8 students


We Support